Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lots of love for fresh basil

I got this yummy fresh basil from the awesome Franklin Farmers Market!



So, I went with the old standby - pesto! Since we are on the blood type diet, we do not eat tomatoes. So, pesto is great since we can still make yummy pastas and pizzas without the tomatoes! I substitute walnuts for pine nuts for my type B hubby.

4 c. fresh basil leaves
1/2 c. toasted walnuts
1 clove garlic
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in the food processor and you have pesto!




The first night I mixed some pesto with rice pasta and added some peas for a quick dinner. I added some Parmesan cheese to my hubby's pasta since he is allowed to eat most dairy products but mine was yummy even without the cheese.

Of course we always have leftover pesto. So the next night, we had open-faced veggie sandwiches. We are both allowed to eat mozzarella cheese so this one works out well for both of us.

I toasted slices of homemade spelt bread, spread on some pesto-bean spread (recipe to follow at a later date) added some sauteed mushrooms and grilled zucchini, and topped with mozzarella cheese. Place the sandwiches under the broiler for a few minutes and you have dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment