Monday, August 8, 2011

We adapt...

Peaches are somewhat foreign to me. I mean, I've eaten peaches (always peeled since I don't like furry-skinned fruits) but never really cooked anything with them. Where I come from, peaches do not grow abundantly and for me, were more of an afterthought while browsing the fruit aisle in the grocery store.

Now, we live in middle Tennessee. In the middle of summer, peaches are everywhere. Georgia and Alabama seem to be the main providers of those furry little fruits and I have witnessed heated debate over where the best ones come from. Last Friday, my local Whole Foods Market had a one day sale on peaches so I decided to stock up. They were clearly labeled as Georgia peaches so I suppose the fans of the Alabama ones may have had to go elsewhere. In any case, they were firm and smelled good so I was inspired to try out a new dish.

Although this dish was for breakfast on Sunday, the process began on Saturday night since it's best if the oats soak overnight. This dish is not too sweet since I try to reduce the amount of added sweeteners that I use in my cooking but the maple syrup adds just enough sweetness and a nice flavor. A half-teaspoon of cinnamon would be nice addition, if you are not feeding a type B. I omit the cinnamon for my hubby but it is still delicious without it. Other than the cinnamon, the ingredients in this dish make it suitable for any type. If you are only feeding types B or AB you can use cow milk in place of the soy milk.



Peach Oatmeal Bake

1-3/4 c. vanilla soy milk (or milk)
1 tbs. pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/4  tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2-1/2 c. old fashioned oats
2 medium peaches, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups) I peeled mine but peeling is optional
2-1/2 c. old fashioned oats

Mix together soy milk, vanilla, eggs, and maple syrup until well combined. Add salt, baking powder and oats, be sure to mix this well. Gently stir in peaches. Pour the mixture into an 8x8" baking dish. Let set overnight in the refrigerator.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let the dish sit out while the oven preheats. When the oven is ready, bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with additional soy milk to moisten.

No comments:

Post a Comment